In a statement the Pentagon said, it has notified the US Congress of a new military aid package for Ukraine worth $300 million. This will be the first time Washington is providing Ukraine with “laser-guided missiles”.
The military package to Ukraine includes:
- Laser guided missiles. Their type has not been specified. Its very likely that these will be 70 mm APKWS missiles. While these are designed to be used as air-to-ground weapons, they can also be fired from the ground, including from 4×4 light vehicles. They have a range of up to 5 km.
They can neutralize a variety of targets including armored personnel carriers and light fortifications.
- Switchblade drones. This will be the second time the US is providing this type of weapon. The Switchblade 300 has a range of 10 km and a flight duration of 15 minutes. The Switchblade 600 however has a range of 80 km and a flight duration of 40 minutes.
- Puma unmanned aerial vehicles. These are light reconnaissance vehicles weighing several kilograms and have a range of 20 to 60 km, depending on the configuration.
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Control Systems [C-UAS].
- HMMWV armored vehicles;
- Various types of “non-standard” ammunition. Post-Soviet systems.
- Machine guns. Details not provided.
- Commercial satellite imagery services.
- Medical equipment, spare parts, and field equipment.
- Thermal, optical equipment, night vision equipment, and secure connectivity.
The total value of US military aid to Ukraine has exceeded $2.3 billion.
In addition to the above-mentioned weapon systems, the United States is also providing among other things, Javelin anti-tank kits, Stinger anti-aircraft guns, and anti-tank grenade launchers.